Green smoothie. You are my friend.
Those are the words I mumble to myself when I stare into the green depths of my glass when I am about to down a green smoothie concoction and I have NO IDEA what it will taste like (this time).
For such is the nature of the beast: the taste is different EVERY TIME.
Since I usually eat a rather large amount of salad, vegetables, fruit and nuts on a daily basis, I tend to only drink green smoothies when I am feeling "rough around the edges" from too much indulgence in things like cream (oh home made ice-cream, you delicious fiend...) or dark chocolate (an ongoing frenemy indeed).
When Simeon sees a glass of green heading towards him, he tends to silently sigh, take a sip and say something like:"Hmmm...earthy."
And this from a man who can eat an ENTIRE family size green salad with NO dressing OR carbs OR little tasty bits of things that MOST humans require to make a GIANT green salad palatable (he uses salt....yes, JUST salt).
But moving on (since that doesn't really HELP my point), THIS PARTICULAR GREEN SMOOTHIE turned out REALLY well. Like I could drink this on a daily basis if I WANTED (or, like, HAD) to.
Why a green smoothie recipe in this season of blessed indulgence and yummy things like Christmas mince pies?
Because (if I am anything to go by) it is often the season of OVER indulgence and EXCESSIVE EATage of yummy things, hey.
Green smoothie. YOU - ARE - MY - FRIEND!
- 1 green apple
- 2 handfuls of kale or baby spinach
- 1 third of a large cucumber (with the peel on)
- 1 ripe banana (tweak the sweetness with more bananas if you wish)
- 1 teaspoon of protein powder (I use raw rice protein powder)
- 1 good pinch of cinnamon powder
- Put all the ingredients in a blender.
- Fill to about half way of the height of the ingredients with cold filtered water.
- Zhoesh well till smooth and creamy.
- This makes about 6 cups of smoothie.