This recipe from my Mom is just wonderful.
It never flops.
It gives you the most moist and tender crumb around, and it stays soft for days. It's chocolatey and delicious without being too sweet either.
You can whip it up from start to finish in under 35 minutes.
And best yet: when served to people who don't know it's gluten-free, and are expecting some sort of "different" taste.....all resistance crumbles!
Mom's Choccie Cake
Prep Time: 10 - 15 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
Yields: 1 bundt cake (serves 8 generously)
- 2 large bananas
- 250ml gluten-free cake flour (e.g. in SA, Nature's Choice GF Cake Flour)
- 125ml lukewarm water
- 60ml vegetable oil (something neutral, like sunflower, works best)
- 60ml cocoa powder
- 200ml sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pre-heat oven to 178 degrees Celsius.
- Mash bananas with a fork in the bottom of a mixing bowl.
- Use an electric mixer to mix in the sugar.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, and mix until just lump free.
- Grease a bundt cake tin, or a rectangular baking dish (approx. 28cm x 17cm).
- Add batter and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 20 minutes, or until a cake skewer inserted comes out clean and the cake has pulled away from the sides ever so slightly.
- Remember, ovens vary in their hotitutdes, so err on the side of caution and check with a cake skewer/toothpick rather than relying only on time.
- 80 grams of 70% dark chocolate
- approx. 2 Tbsp milk
- Heat on a low stove, stirring occasionaly, or use the microwave on a low setting to melt it slooowly (don't burn the chocolate...it'll make you want to cry!)
Born-up-a-gluten-free-tree (or bon appetit!)