"If I grew mushrooms, would that make me a fun-ghi?" said Simeon with a smile before his post-grad graduation ceremony at the CTICC, where Denny Mushroom conference posters were stuck all over the walls of the convention centre.
So-called "beef mushrooms" make a wonderful substitute for meat on the braai, as they hold their own against the heat and retain their flavour well.
Grilled Beef Mushrooms:
- Brush mushrooms with olive oil, and sprinkle liberally with salt and fresh thyme leaves.
- Grill on a medium-hot braai for 10 - 15 minutes, turning often.
- 2 cups Basmati rice (uncooked)
- 125ml Hummus
- 125ml Basil Pesto
- 1 tin Red kidney beans
- 1 tin Butter beans
- 1 large Green pepper (sliced into bite-sized chunks)
- 4 medium Tomatoes (sliced into bite-sized pieces)
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the basmati rice with salt according to instructions on the packet.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a large serving bowl, add the rice; hummus; beans; peppers; and tomatoes.
- Stir together lightly and season to taste.