Curried Brown Rice with
Sweet Potato Purée and
Roasted Green Beans
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tsp salt crystals
- 1 Tbsp crushed curry leaves
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 0.5 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 - 4 cups of water
- 1 tsp butter (optional)
- Simmer rice and spices for approximately 40 minutes until all the water has been absorbed.
- Add the butter right at the end and stir through.
- 800 grams of sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 3 large carrots
- 1 apple
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of butter or cream (optional)
- Cut sweet potatoes, carrots and the apple into chunks.
- Pour over boiling water (just enough to cover), add the salt and boil for 20 - 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Drain three-quarters of the water, then use a stick blender to zhoesh the veg all together until the purée is smooth.
- Stir through the teaspoon of butter or cream, and check the seasoning.
- 700 grams of green beans
- olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Wrap an oven dish in heavy foil.
- Brush a light coating of olive oil over the bottom of the covered roasting pan.
- Use a scissors to top and tail the green beans, and give them a good rinse.
- Throw the beans in the pan, drizzle them with olive oil and a liberal sprinkling of salt.
- Oven roast for 20 - 30 minutes, until crispy on the outside but tender on the inside.
|A sunset the colour of sweet potato peels and carrots, taken by Simeon from the roof of our house on the evening I made this meal.|