|Chewsli - a breakfast gift from my husband to me. What a sweetie :-)|
There really is nothing quite like a bowl of steaming oats porridge to warm the cockles of your heart in Winter, soaking in Irish butter and lashings of sugar.
And in Summer, bowls of chewy oat-based muesli with rice milk.
But alas, I am not among those blessed few inflicted with this damnable allergy that can actually digest it.
In my search to find a palatable gluten-free muesli, I have been led astray many a time by promises of "tastes just like regular muesli" (with an exorbitant price tag to match). I think the worst experience I ever had was with a well-known gluten-free brand whose product tasted exactly like a bowl full of parmesan rice flakes with raisins, soaked in rice milk. Disgusting!
And so chewsli was born.
Chewsli is a healthy homemade breakfast dish which is nothing like muesli in ingredients, but whose texture and taste is like chewy oats and milky muesli together.
Simple and filling, it's good and good for you!
- 6 raw walnut halves
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 sweet apple
- 1 ripe banana
- a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Zhoesh it together in your food processor and eat!
- Check out a super cool recipe in motion for Kougelhopf cake over at Food to be good.
- Lizzy at That skinny chick can bake has made fantastic Ghirardelli caramel brownies. I love how the brownies look like a giant slab of chocolate!
- For cake you can eat for breakfast (!!), look no further than Giulietta's Apple and yoghurt cake. You can find the recipe at her blog Alterkitchen.
- Ruth's vintage recipe for Parmesan and Gruyère scones (or biscuits) is perfect for Sunday afternoon tea. Find it over at Bread and Milk and Blackberries.
Have a great weekend!