This was my first attempt at gf flapjacks, and boy did I strike it lucky the first time round.
I adapted a recipe by Chef Jackie Cameron of Hartford House in the Kwazulu Natal Midlands (original recipe found here).
Here is my version:
Potato Flour Flapjacks
2 Eggs (jumbo)
50ml Butter (melted)
2 cups (500ml) Potato flour
3/4tsp Bicarbonate of soda
3/4tsp Creme of tartar
Quick and Unfussy Method:
- Chuck the potato flour, bicarb and creme of tartar into a bowl.
- Make a hole in the middle of the ingredients.
- Toss the butter, milk and eggs into the hole (in that order in case your butter is a bit hot, then the cold milk buffers the eggs from cooking)
- Mix it together (I used a fork - ironically, despite being an ex-chef I have never owned an electric mixer or even a whisk for home use...I prefer robust home cooking which is no mess, no fuss).
- Use a pan with some form of non-stick 'itemage' coating the bottom (I used butter for richness, but you could use oil or Spray 'n Cook or whatever blows your hair back)
The recipe made 6 of these big beauties in total...
...which I serve with this sucrose-free treat...
...which looks like this when dolloped with decadently thick cream.
Mamasita blessed the cooking process with her voluptuous clay presence ;-D
I now consider my holiday officially started in sweet style - a flapjack, a fresh mug of rooibos chai, a Summer breeze and the following playlist:
Chris Cornell - Black Hole Sun (acoustic);
The Dirty Skirts - Daddy Don't Disco;
Incubus - Wish You Were Here; and
Chris Cornell - Long Gone.